Individuals can make a claim for rebates on an IR 526 form for:

  • donations of $5 or more to an approved charity and organisations


The maximum amount you can claim is:

  • the lesser of 33.33% of the total donation you have made or 33.33% of your taxable income.


Rebates can be claimed by individuals who:

  • earned taxable income during the period being claimed for, and
  • were in New Zealand at any time during the tax year (including non-residents).


How to claim:

Fill out an IR526 form available on the IRD website, print and sign it, attach your receipts and post it to the IRD. Or complete via your myIR login.

**Note- you can claim the donation receipts at anytime within 4 years.


Companies can claim some donations through their operating expenses. Special conditions apply.